From Garden Clips: Susan Harris of Garden Rant continues the tour as she shows us her small townhouse back yard garden. Susan removed the existing lawn and put in a small patio to serve as a seating area. She planted the surrounding beds with easy to care for perennials and potted annuals and provided a sense of enclosure with Bignonia (Cross Vine) Arborvitaes and Nandina around the perimeter. This is a great example of a good small garden design.
More plant info from Susan (btw, the editor of Good Gardening Videos):
- Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata ‘Tangerine Beauty’) isn’t just evergreen and gorgeous – it’s also native to the Eastern U.S.
- The vigorous groundcover Sedum shown is S. takeseminense.
- The red annual in pots is Iresine ‘Blazin’ Rose.’
- The groundcover Carex ‘Ice Dance’ is evergreen.
- The smokebush I planted is Cotinus x Grace.
- Plants in the mostly-foliage border shown are an Oakleaf Hydrangea, ‘Ogon’ Spirea, Fothergilla, Nandina, Abelia and Pulmonaria.
- Plants in the sunny border include Purple Coneflower, Amsonia hubrichtii, assorted Asters, and Tradescantia – all U.S. natives.
Leave a Reply