Fall is the perfect time to build compost piles and improve the soil. With all the organic matter from cut back flowers, old veggies and fallen leaves, you can build a simple or complex compost pile, depending on your preference. There are some good examples in these videos, plus options for sheet composting in place, right in the garden. This guide highlights using cover crops to build your soil, as well.
- “Composting 101 — Making Compost in Composting Bins and Compost Piles” by GrowOrganic Peaceful Valley in California.6666
- “Trench Composting with Melinda Myers.” Another easy method that requires no special structure.
- “How to Make a Compost Bin for Free Using Shipping Pallets” by Joe Lamp’l – joegardener!
- “Build Amazing Fertile Garden Soil Using Free and Local Resources in your Mulch or Compost” by Stephen Legaree at Alberta Urban Garden.
- “Building Soil Fertility with Fall and Winter Cover Crops/Green Manures” by Patrick Dolan of One Yard Revolution.
- Sheet Composting by Kathy LaLiberte for Homeclick.