Good Gardening Videos has scoured YouTube to find the very best how-to-garden videos for the top fall gardening activities for the vegetable gardener and the home gardener growing shrubs, perennials, bulbs and of course lawn. The 89 videos we chose were made by Extension University experts in 12 states and 40 other excellent gardening teachers with channels on YouTube.
To meet the need for free, high-quality food-growing instruction, horticulturist Charlie Nardozzi has searched YouTube for the most accurate and watchable videos about harvesting and growing food in the fall, plus the important topics of composting and soil improvement.
- 7 videos on late-summer planting of fall edibles
- 2 on starting fall edibles from seed
- 4 on salad greens
- 1 on using a planting calendar for your region
- 1 on harvesting fall vegetables
10 videos by experts in the U.S., U.K. and Australia, divided into “Simple” and “More Complex for the more ambitious saver.
11 videos covering the benefits of cover crops, choosing the best type, how to plant, remove or till into the soil. Plus, cover crops for container gardens.
- 19 videos on growing beans, beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, corn, cucumbers, eggplants, herbs, kale, lettuce, peas, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash and watermelon
- 3 on harvesting and using herbs
For places in North America where people are actively gardening in fall and winter.
- 4 by experts in California
- 2 from the Pacific Northwest
- 1 each from Texas and Florida
- 1 on overwintering peppers indoors, by a Michigander
- 3 videos on basic composting
- 3 on composting in place and sheet composting
- 1 each on soil-building, testing soil, cover crops, and building bins from shipping pallets
- 2 on using leaves to improve soil
Lawn Care and Planting Plants in the Fall
These videos cover cool-season grasses, which are best started or improved in the fall.
- 3 videos about general fall lawn care
- 4 about fertilizing
- 3 about lawn repair
- 1 about choosing the best seed
11 videos about planting trees, shrubs and perennials, and 3 about moving them.
The right way to put plants in the ground is simple enough, though often done wrong. Learning by watching is easiest.
- 5 videos about bulbs in general
- 4 about specific bulbs
- 3 about naturalizing bulbs
- 2 about bulbs in containers).
The videos explain the choices of bulbs (tulips, daffodils, etc), the right way to plant them, and have some design tips, too.
Best Videos for ALL Seasons
GGVideos has winter through summer covered, too. Click here to see all 25 collections of best videos on YouTube for seasonal topics in the garden.