Here are the very best videos that horticulturist and YouTube-curator Charlie Nardozzi found on winter pruning for fruiting plants. The comments about each video are his.
We thank all the Extension Universities, nurseries, growers and gardening media who created these terrific teaching tools and then made them universally available on YouTube.
- “HOW TO PRUNE A BLUEBERRY BUSH” by the U. of Maine. Nice comprehensive look at pruning established blueberry bushes.
- “HOW TO PRUNE A YOUNG BLUEBERRY BUSH” by Useful Plants, a nursery in North Carolina. Nice, simple look at pruning a young blueberry plant.
- “DORMANT PRUNING OF SOUTHERN HIGHBUSH BLUEBERRY” by U. Georgia Extension. How to prune this Southern type of blueberry. Good look at tools, reasons why you prune and techniques.
- “HOW TO PRUNE RASPBERRY CANES” by Penn State. Nice quick look at pruning summer and everbearing raspberries in winter.
- “HOW TO PRUNE RASPBERRIES” by Utah State University Extension. A Western look at pruning raspberries.
- “HOW TO PRUNE GRAPES” by the Dave Wilson Nursery in California. Good video on cane and spur pruning technique for established grapes.
- “HOW TO CARE FOR YOUNG GRAPE VINES” by the University of Maine. Good video on pruning young grape vines.
- “4-ARM KNIFFIN SYSTEM FOR GROWING GRAPES” by the University of Maine. Good pruning system for home gardeners. This is the pruning system I use!
- “UMBRELLA KNIFFIN SYSTEM FOR GROWING GRAPES” from the University of Maine. Another grape pruning system to use for home gardeners.
- “HOW TO PRUNE GRAPE VINES” by GrowOrganic Peaceful Valley in California. How to prune cordon, spur and arbor grown grapes.
- “1ST WINTER PRUNING OF MUSCADINE GRAPE VINES” by Ison’s Nursery and Vineyard in Georgia. Simple look at pruning young muscaine grapes in the South.
- “HOW TO PRUNE MUSCADINE GRAPES” by Useful Plants Nursery in North Carolina. A look at pruning an overgrown muscadine vine.
- “HOW TO PRUNE AN APPLE TREE” by Utah State Extension. Simple look at pruning a young and middle aged apple tree to a modified leader system.
- “HOW TO PRUNE AN OLD APPLE TREE” by Hilltown Tree and Garden in Massachusetts. Good look at pruning tools and steps to bringing an old apple tree back into size and production.
Apple and Pear
- “HOW TO PRUNE APPLE TREES AND PEAR TREES” from GrowOrganic in California. – Good general information on pruning and how to prune apples to a central leader system with information on spreading branches for better angles.
Peach (3-video series on pruning peaches from NC State Extension)
- “HOW TO PRUNE A YOUNG PEACH TREE.” Good basics on training a young peach tree.
- “HOW TO PRUNE A 2-YEAR-OLD PEACH TREE.” Next step in peach trees, pruning a 2-year old tree.
- “HOW TO PRUNE A MATURE PEACH TREE.” And finally pruning a mature peach. A nice 3 video series on pruning peaches from North Carolina
- “HOW TO PRUNE PLUMS” by Garden Time TV in Oregon. Interview with expert at OSU. Basics on pruning an established Japanese plum tree.
- “HOW TO PRUNE A PLUM TREE” by the Deep Living Project. Even though it’s made in Australia, the information is sound and applicable to U.S. gardeners for pruning an established plum tree.
- “HOW TO PRUNE SWEET CHERRY TREES” by Cloud Mountain Farm in Washington State. Basics on pruning an established sweet cherry tree.
- “HOW TO PRUNE CITRUS TREES” by The Arbor Gate in Tomball, Texas. Basics on pruning a young citrus tree. Interview format, basics on pruning citrus in South. More talking than action but good information.
- “HOW TO PRUNE CITRUS TREES” by Four Winds Growers in California. Basics on tools, timing and pruning young citrus trees in containers.
- “TIPS FOR PRUNING YOUR CITRUS TREE” by the Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. How-to on pruning an established citrus tree.
Espalier for Fruit Trees
- “HOW TO TRAIN AN ESPALIER” by GrowOrganic in California. Nice video on pruning and training an established espalier fruit tree.
- “HOW TO BUILD AN ESPALIER TRELLIS (AND THEN PLANT IT)” by Fine Gardening Magazine. Good video on building the espalier trellis and planting and initially training the apple tree.