Good Gardening Videos.org is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, ad-free educational campaign to find and promote evidence-based gardening videos and to help more accurate ones to be made.
- To inspire more people to garden and help them succeed as gardeners.
- To improve the environment by teaching the public to plant more plants and garden in a way that protects the environment.
- To elevate the role of universities, public gardens, local garden centers and evidence-based garden communicators as sources of gardening information.
To accomplish the mission, we:
- Compile accurate and inspirational videos on this website, our Youtube channel, on Pinterest and on Facebook.
- Promote the selected videos widely through social media and in monthly e-newsletters.
- Create and promote guides to videos on select seasonal topics.
- Encourage organizations and gardeners to create videos that teach or inspire, and steer them toward easy, no-cost ways to do it. (Here are some tips for making gardening videos easily and on a small or nonexistent budget.)
Videos promoted by GGVideos have been screened and found to be useful, watchable, and free of statements contrary to known evidence. (If you suspect that we’ve missed something, let us know and we’ll look into it. Write: email@example.com.)
The videos were produced by a range of experts, including those at 18 U.S. Extension universities. To help guide viewers to videos most helpful in their own gardens, the video-maker’s location is prominently displayed.
The need for curated gardening videos arose in discussion on the Garden Professors Blog Facebook group about the often inaccurate information being served up to the public by search engines, including the number two search engine – Youtube. It’s hard to find instruction that’s free of advertorials, harmful home remedies or exaggerated claims by advocates for their cause. And unlike in earlier times, TV channels like HGTV no longer teach gardening.
To receive 1-2 emails per month about newly added videos, sign up for our Updates.
GGVideos is primarily a labor of love by people passionate about its mission, so the expenses are low. To date, they have included website and graphics help performed by freelancers and some filing fees. Starting in the summer of 2017 GGVideos will be paying horticulturist Charlie Nardozzi to curate videos about growing edibles.
GGVideos has received approval from the IRS as a 501(c)(3) organization, and soon people who support the cause will be able to make voluntary tax-deductible donations on this website. It is hoped that the donations will cover the costs listed above and some pay for targeted advertising on Facebook.
Meet the Editors and Advisory Team behind GGVideos.
We thank these organizations for supporting accurate gardening information and helping to spread the word about the GGVideos campaign. We welcome the opportunity to partner with still more respected nonprofits engaged in teaching gardening.
The Garden Writers Association Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable, educational organization. Its mission includes providing public education on gardening, horticulture, and environmental issues; increasing public awareness on a variety of gardening issues; and reducing hunger.
Kids Gardening has, for 35 years, led the school gardening movement. As a national nonprofit, it improves nutritional attitudes, educational outcomes, social & emotional learning and environmental stewardship in youth across the country through garden-based learning.
To reach Good Gardening Videos email: firstname.lastname@example.org.