Good Gardening Videos.org is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, ad-free educational campaign to find and promote evidence-based gardening videos and to help more accurate ones to be made. It won a 2017 Media Award from the Garden Writers Association.
- To inspire more people to garden and help them succeed as gardeners.
- To improve the environment by teaching the public to plant more plants and garden in a way that protects the environment.
- To elevate the role of universities, public gardens, local garden centers and evidence-based garden communicators as sources of gardening information.
To accomplish the mission, we:
- Compile accurate and inspirational videos on this website, our Youtube channel, on Pinterest and Facebook.
- Promote the selected videos widely through social media and in e-newsletters.
- Create and promote guides to videos on select seasonal topics.
- Encourage businesses and organizations to create videos that teach or inspire, and steer them toward easy, no-cost ways to do it. (Here are some tips for making gardening videos easily and on a small or nonexistent budget.)
Videos promoted by GGVideos have been screened and found to be useful, watchable, and free of statements contrary to known evidence. (If you suspect that we’ve missed something, let us know and we’ll look into it. Write: firstname.lastname@example.org.)
The videos were produced by a range of experts, including those at 18 U.S. Extension universities. To help guide viewers to videos most helpful in their own gardens, the video-maker’s location is prominently displayed.
The need for curated gardening videos arose in discussion on the Garden Professors Blog Facebook group about the often inaccurate information being served up to the public by search engines, including the number two search engine – YouTube. It’s hard to find instruction that’s free of advertorials, harmful home remedies or exaggerated claims by advocates. And unlike in earlier times, TV channels like HGTV no longer teach gardening.
To receive 1-2 emails per month about newly added videos and seasonal guides, sign up for our Updates.
Meet the Editors and Advisory Team behind GGVideos.
We thank these nonprofit organizations engaged in teaching gardening for their help in spreading the word about the GGVideos campaign.
The Garden Writers Association Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable, educational organization. Its mission includes providing public education on gardening, horticulture, and environmental issues; increasing public awareness on a variety of gardening issues; and reducing hunger.
Kids Gardening has, for 35 years, led the school gardening movement. As a national nonprofit, it improves nutritional attitudes, educational outcomes, social & emotional learning and environmental stewardship in youth across the country through garden-based learning.
Chanticleer Garden in Wayne, PA has a strong educational mission. Its Scholarship and Internship programs provide training and professional development for professionals in horticulture, world-wide. For the general public, Chanticleer offers regular classes and workshops, as well as the learning experience of visiting the garden and observing its plant combinations, effective gardening practices, and more.
To reach Good Gardening Videos email: email@example.com.